Wednesday 15 August 2012


Artist Interview with Yasmin Nebenfuhr on her exhibition 'Reverence' 
By Rose Turner - director of the EMMA SOUP GALLERY

"Reverence presents photographs that resonate the ghostly beauty of changing life. 
With deep respect for nature these photographs capture subjects in a warm, dignified presence. 
Fragile moments of transience, contrasting yet connecting beginnings and endings, enchantment and melancholy, luminance and obscurity"
-Yasmin Nebenfuhr 


After an explosive opening night  we asked our Yasmin a few little questions about her photographs and her adventures though the lens...

What’s the one thing that you like to do to quench your creative cravings? 
I love to travel and experience new surroundings, whether at home in Newcastle or further around Australia. I feel most creative simply wandering, photographing whatever takes my eye.

What was the last lovely thing you heard about your artistic talent? 
I'm not sure, all of the supportive feedback and compliments on the opening night of Reverence were lovely! 

Is there a secret or hidden message in your photographs for 'Reverence'? 
I've never shot my photographs with a particular theme or message intended. Choosing photos from my collection made me realise the ghostly nature orientated style throughout. I chose the name 'Reverence' for its meaning, 'a deep respect for' which I feel sums up the work I am exhibiting.  

What is your next big photographic adventure? 
Getting on board the NASA team and helping 'em out on Mars... 
Over the next few weeks I'll be collaborating with Newcastle boutique The Lair for a fashion shoot then in late September I will be photographing Newcastle's music festival Sound Summit for the second time.

Most artists have special objects that they seek and collect, is there something that you collect? 
Probably feathers on the ground and beer bottle tops. Both eventually end up in vases in my room but most of the time are scattered in my messy handbag.



Photo by Zen Harris
Photo By Zen Harris