Thursday 2 May 2013

This morning I felt privileged to be asked to speak along side Andrew Rundle from Rundle Tailoring in a discussion on ABC radio about foreign manufacturing and the effects of online shopping. 
Andrews family business has been around in Newcastle for over 100 years! - manufacturing and designing suits. His brother is actually my accountant - small world. A really cool accountant at that, half the time is spent talking about Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Church. I love tax time :)

The discussion went well I think though. It's a topic I can get pretty into talking about. To summarise, I think there is a real revival to put the romance and 'art' back into craftsmanship - the old fashion way. To buy from small local shops/brands and ditch depressing shopping centers (maybe except for buying underwear ha). The benefits of making in-house or locally for everyone is huge - in my opinion. The ability to completely customise, make small quantities, quality control, form direct customer relationships, city culture/growth are just somethings that can't be replicated by mass production. A point that does however affect me and is a bit of a challenge at times is finding good local sewers. They are a dying bread - literally. 
And jeez, I feel like I should I mention the shocking news that just the other day 400 + people died in a manufacturing warehouse disaster in Bangladesh because of dodgie work conditions! 

Anyway, It's almost been a whole month since I opened the new Emma Soup shop...  
It's been a lot of fun! I'm in desperate need of some of that down time I mentioned earlier though. A road trip to the country with my sister Jess is scheduled in the calender and I will be taking my film camera for a full report on country living; hangin out with the cows and picking flowers - you know how it is. I also probably shouldn't say this but I am looking forward to leaving my dresses behind and packing nothing but my blundstones, jeans and a t-shirt, yee-ha. 

So here is a re-cap of shop life via an Instagram photo montage to keep the old blog up to speed with recent activities. You can find us on 'The Gram' by searching 'emma soup' or 'emmasoupysoupysoup' 

Stay tuned for the new Emma Soup bridal video too! I'm going for a Virgin Suicides vibe but without the suicide and more of a 'G' rated - optimistic kind of spin.
I'll be filming with Sydney photographer, Bella Towns - we recently hit it off at an engagement party after many drinks and a night of deep and meaningful conversation - it was that kind of night ha. 
We will be shooting in a weeks time. 

Stay classy Newcastle ;)



This is me working it for the camera ha

Delores the wedding dress

White magazine <3

Bridesmaid dress



Just your average day taking photos of pretty girls in Emma Soup dresses

Our lovely little vintage section being a boss at life really

Photo shoot with Newcastle museum! What a ball.




Jenny the pattern master